Traditional style woodworking bench made using contemporary materials.
MyBench - 3 day bench making course.
Make a quality woodworking bench. Developed by a woodworker for other woodworkers. Traditional design, contemporary materials and technology.
You leave with a bench ready to go as our package includes a fully fitted Large WoodRiver front vise.
Duration: 3 Day Course - usually held over 3 Sundays
Participants: Minimum 2 people, Maximim 3 people
My Bench Features:
- Materials: FSC Certified White Birch Hardwood Plywood, LVL, A Bond, EO.
- Saves time - quick and easy to assemble.
- Stable - wide footprint, large legs, extra wide rails and stretchers combine to prevent wracking.
- Robust - extra large tenons provide excellent rigidity and strength.
- Customisation - height and length can be tailored to individual requirements*.
- “Deadman” provides flexible support options for planing edges of panels and long boards.
- Heavy - solid 75mm top ideal for absorbing forces exerted when using woodworking hand tools.
- Accessories - thick bench top ideal for use with a wide variety of hold downs, dogs and bench vices.
- 19mm / 3/4" dog holes suitable for all Veritas dogs and hold downs.
- Maximum clamping - no apron ie. no top rails front and back means you can clamp directly to the bench top.
- Durable - bench top can be refurbished using a hand plane or sander.
- Built in tool holder at rear of bench.
- Tested - rigorous product testing in our woodworking school over the past 3 years.
* My Bench Dimensions: 1800mm (L) x 600mm (W) x 1000mm (H) - can be customised within this range
Background, The Mybench Story
"Over the years I have encountered many bench designs. I have built several benches as well as teaching bench making courses. I have helped design students construct weird and wonderful projects and pondered the features I felt were either present or not present in the benches we were using at the time. I have read many articles and books written on the subject and researched technologies and materials that I thought could be employed to achieve the features I was looking for in a workbench. With my wishlist
of features in mind I set about developing MyBench.
In 2012 I presented a completely handmade prototype of MyBench at the Sydney Timber and Working with Wood Show. I received a lot of encouraging feedback from the woodworking community and continued to refine my design. MyBench is now produced using CNC technology with FSC (Forestry Stewardsip Council) certification premium exterior White Birch Ply. That means mybench is not subject to timber movement associated with solid timber making it stronger and more stable". Stuart Faulkner
Peer Review by Darren Oates
Australian Furniture Maker and Contributor to Australian Wood Review Magazine
" I have been using “MyBench” now for two months and have given it a thorough workout in this time.This bench is a culmination of three years R & D by Stuart Faulkner at Heartwood Creative Woodworking. The dimensions of the bench top are as follows: 1800mm (L) x 600mm (W) x 1000mm (H). The height of this bench can be customized to any height. The length can also be tailored to your requirements.The bench is made from CNC machined FSC Certified White Birch Plywood and has a very generous and heavy 75mm thick top. The first task I wanted to do was to check for flatness of the bench top. Using my one meter long straight edge the biggest gap I could find over any part of the top was 0.15mm and this was in one or two places, most of the top I could not get a feeler gauge of any size under the straight edge, so this is a very flat top indeed.
The one thing I was concerned about with this review is how I would return the bench back to the manufacturer, after I had completed the review as I am quite hard on my benches, I have two and they really do show it. I built my benches to make furniture, not to be a piece of furniture, but I was told by Heartwood Creative Woodworking to just use it as per my norm and not worry about it, so I did. I would have undertaken at least thirty glue ups on this bench with heavy G Clamps being dropped on to the top hundreds of times. I am very happy to report that there is zero visible damage to the top, and now at the end of the review I have gone over the table again with my straight edge and the top is still as flat as when supplied. This top which is made from Birch Plywood does seem to be very hard and durable. The deadman was very handy for working on the edges of panels and timber, with plenty of dog holes at varying heights built in".
"Over all I am impressed with the quality of this work bench. I know a lot of research has gone into the design and construction of this bench and it shows. I certainly recommend this product for anyone who is looking to woodwork on a quality, heavily built and dead flat work bench".